Plus Que Run!

Thursday, June 21, 2012


Wow wow! So started week 2 of my 5k training program today! Running for minute and a half, with two minute walking intervals.  Not bad, my friends, not bad! It honestly didn't feel like that much of a difference from week 1, where I was running one minute, walking a minute and a half. I do this thing where I get bogged down about 10 minutes into the session - just before the halfway mark - but once I hit halfway, I pick right back up again! I'm still super proud of myself for actually being able to do it. This morning was a bit more difficult to get out of bed, but that's just because I moved into my new loft/fort bed yesterday, and it was so toasty warm. But I dragged myself out, and was really glad that I did! I love running days, because I feel like I've accomplished something big by 6:30am. 

I'm thinking that I should probably do some cross-training/strength-training to balance out the running... I want to make sure I'm working all the muscle groupings, and not just my running muscles! I'm not sure quite how to start that, but if any of y'all have any insights into any good programs for this, my muscles will be forever appreciative! Another great thing about running has been that my dad is now joining me. He doesn't seem overly enthused about the 6am start time, but it's definitely nice to have the company. It also pushes me, because he's definitely fitter than me at this point, so I feel like I definitely can't walk when I'm supposed to be running. I will say that I haven't walked when I wasn't supposed to since the first day. That hilly route just killed me! I might find a new route soonish - probably next week - just for a change of scenery or something. I'm not sure. It seems silly to drive somewhere to run... but I honestly just can't deal with my road because it's so so steep, and once you've finished your run, you don't want to be hiking up a miserable hill. I think that's what did me in last time.