Couch to 5 [Days of Pain]

Friday, June 15, 2012


So today I started "training" for the "Couch to 5k". I did it like real healthy people do: I got up at 5:50 this morning, put on my leggings, and sweater [over my pyjamas - no biggie], and was out of the house by 6:01. When I reached the end of my road I had the decision to go left, or right. Right was sort of dark and whaaa, while left was sunny, and you can see the ocean that way, so I decided to go left.

Well, the world has a hilarious sense of humor. I forgot that the pretty, sunny, ocean view way is also like climbing Everest. So up and down, up and down I went, with my little iPod trainer, Constance, chirping away pleasantly in my ear "Let's start with a brisk walk!... Now let's bring that up to a jog!... Now I'm going to shoot you in the kneecaps, and I'd like you to run as fast as you can up this next hill before I punch you in the chest." Well thanks, Constance, I'm so glad you are so gosh darn happy at 6 in the morning. After half an hour of this torture, I it back home, and even went a little longer than my program said I had to - mostly because I had to get home. 

I didn't puke [although I did feel like I could have puked up my organs], I didn't cry [even though I thought I might when I reached the foot of the very, very, steep hill my house is on top of], and I didn't sit down in the middle of the road and refuse to keep going. My neighbour did look a little concerned as he passed me, sweaty and dragging my hot, tired body up our road [see: dirt track], but who's he to judge. I will be enormously fit and fabulous in not but nine weeks.  

Sunday is my next day of running, and I think I might have forgotten enough of the pain by then to actually drag myself out of bed and actually do it! Go me! Anyway, I'm very proud of myself for actually getting out of bed this morning, because as anyone who has been around me longer than 5 minutes knows, I say I'm going to work out, and then I nap instead. Napping burns all kinds of calories. 

I'm really going to try to keep it up this time. Apparently it stops being absolutely miserable after a while, and can be quite pleasant. Or so I've heard. One of my old teachers did this once, and now she runs marathons... so I think this sentiment might be true! A good sign! 

I sort of feel like a rockstar for actually doing physical activity [kayaking is usually about it for me]. A sore rockstar, but a rockstar nonetheless! Does anyone have any super tips on becoming a marathon winner that I should know about?